Thursday, October 19, 2006

Letters From Peru

Dear Susan,

I found a good hotel for us to stay over in lima. It cost 30 dollars with the guide rate. It is 20 minutes from the airport and is fancy enough and quiet from the street noise. I made us reservation there when you come to Lima.

I found some good deals on books. There is a used book neighborhood of ten shops that sell some new editions. Some are science type text books but most of them are novels and picture story books. I bought 79 books for 155 dollars. I am going back tomorrow to get some different titles. About 60 books would fit in a new Pactour duffle bag but it would be heavy. The books are from the Anne Marie McSweeney Library Fund. We are trying to help ten schools without libraries by supplying them with their first 100 books. I will be scouting more possible schools as I drive into the jungle. I will bring 200 or 300 books with me on this trip.

The sky is gray in lima. A light mist falls at night but not enough to use the windshield wipers. It is basically a desert climate here. 60 degree nights and 80 degree days. It would be a great place to live but the sun does not shine and the smog is as thick as the clouds. I think Lima is located here because it is a good port for the ships and there is fresh water river coming from the mountains. Lima is not here as a resort town.

I will write more in a couple days. I have some good taxie drivers stories I want to tell you.

Love Lon

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Lon -
We would like to find out more about the Anne Marie McSweeney Library Fund. Some of us have donated to the children's hosptial as her parents requested but I'm sure alot of us would like to donate to this - would be cool to do some name plaques for the books - this book has been donated in the name of Anne Marie McSweeney who loved to reading, education and bicycling.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home